Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Dresser and Summer Bed

In my last post I mentioned that I have recently redone a dresser for my room this summer. I kind of waited last minute (the Thursday before I was moving on Saturday.) I found this dresser at a thrift store I just happened to stumble upon while exploring Tupelo trying to find something like this. I really only need this for about 2 months because in August I will be moving back into the fully furnished Delta Gamma house (whoo-whoo). Anyhow back to the dresser.. I found it for a whopping total of $30!! How could I turn it down with a price like that?! It was a bit of an eye sore at the moment but a fresh coat of paint can do a world of good!
...before the makeover

Like I said before this was a very last minute purchase so I didn't have much time to make redo this desk. By the time I got home with it, it was getting kind of late and I was exhausted from packing and shopping and all so I decided to take the fast and easy way out. I spray painted it instead of brush painting it. This seemed like a good idea at first but it was not. The top especially was very uneven and it turned into a bigger job than expected. So I got the bright idea to cover the top in magazine articles using ModgePodge. Where do these ideas come from? I'm not sure but I liked the outcome.. for a $30 summer dresser at least.



placing the magazine clippings


In use in my summer room



close up of a few of the articles- if you know me any at all you know I LOVE the shoe!!

I covered the top in fun articles (including but not limited to: "Risks Every Gutsy Girl Must Take", "Wear Jewelery with Confidence" and "Be the Smartest Sexiest Girl in Town"), and then added 5 full page funky high heel pictures. These gave it the color and fun that it needed.
Also I spray painted the handles a metallic champagne gold which went perfectly with the white base color and the colors of the articles. Sometimes the drawers are hard to shut and the paint is already beginging to chip. This desk may not be with me forever but it sure is fun to have for now.

Just for fun, here's a picture of my bed. I sewed each of the throw pillows all on my own. My Nanny was definitely a good teacher! I also sewed my curtain myself. They're made of the pretty french blue giraffe print! I just love all of the white... and the colors go just so! I've officially decided that is my favorite shade of pink!

Since I'm on a roll and showing you all around my room I decided to include this painting I did just a few days before moving back. I'm not so happy with the way the flowers turned out but I love Love LOVE the quote! When I get a chance to go home for more than an afternoon I'm going to redo the top part. But for now here it is..


I apologize for the poor color and lighting in these pictures but I still haven't found my camera charger.


Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment